Travels with Annie

In September 2005, I was diagnosed with the second recurrence of an agressive breast cancer that appeared first in 1997. My book, Travels With Annie: A Journey of Healing and Adventure (Publish America, 2004) chronicles my first bout with cancer and subsequent travels. This time I will share my thoughts and experiences in verse for my friends and acquaintances.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Happy New Year

I want to report that I had a wonderful Christmas but I apparently pushed the health envelope. After driving to and from Dallas for Christmas (Son, Tim is the happiest new stepdad in the land, by the way, and they are expecting another baby in July!),I decided I needed to fly to Phoenix over New Years to see my cousin Dorothy who is 97. She had fallen and cut her head and was in a rehab center (shes still working on recovering from a recent stroke). So, I picked up a Senior fare last minute on Southwest and flew down on Friday morning.
I drove down to Green Valley (south of Tucson) to see friends who have bought a house there and moved from the Olympic peninsula. I spent the night with them and then Saturday drove up to Sun City.
Dorothy was not at the rehab center where I had talked to her last, and I found her in the hospital with fluid in her lungs. We had some very sweet time together, probably our last. I came home speechless, though, with a terrible case of laryngitis.
Good news is that I had a PET scan last week, which revealed that all the tumorous infiltration is gone except for one spot above my collarbone. I am grateful that I have responded really well and quickly. I will have about 2-3 more months of treatment. I was supposed to have chemo last Tuesday, after I returned from Phoenix, but my doctor sent me down for a chest XRay and sent me home to rest and take antibiotics. I begin chemo again this Wednesday.
Blessings to you all for a very Happy New Year. Love, Ann (Ana)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home