Travels with Annie

In September 2005, I was diagnosed with the second recurrence of an agressive breast cancer that appeared first in 1997. My book, Travels With Annie: A Journey of Healing and Adventure (Publish America, 2004) chronicles my first bout with cancer and subsequent travels. This time I will share my thoughts and experiences in verse for my friends and acquaintances.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Stuck

There is a stuck place
Right over my collarbone.
It is hard like one of the silver dollars
hidden in the back of my jewelry box.
It is intractable,
unyielding,
stubborn,
intransigent,
uncompromising,
Stuck.

It has disregarded my plea.
To dissolve,
fade away,
give in.
leave the area.
Please.

“Hmmm.”
says the radiologist.
as he peers at the screen.
“Hmmm.”
says Andy,
looking over his shoulder.

“It is the same,”
they agree.
“3.5 cm.”
The same as it was
two months,
four infusions,
and two different poisons
ago.

It gave in so fast
at first.
I became confident,
complacent.
sure of its cooperation.

Now,
it’s stuck.
We're stuck.
Stalemate,
Mexican standoff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home