Travels with Annie

In September 2005, I was diagnosed with the second recurrence of an agressive breast cancer that appeared first in 1997. My book, Travels With Annie: A Journey of Healing and Adventure (Publish America, 2004) chronicles my first bout with cancer and subsequent travels. This time I will share my thoughts and experiences in verse for my friends and acquaintances.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chacala in November

The amazing Mexican sky in Noviembre

Feeling better than I had all summer and fall, I flew to Chacala with Mark on November 4 and stayed until the 22nd. I love the fall weather there, the ocean still bath-water warm and the nights just beginning to cool enough so that I didn’t need the fan blowing on me. My body was very happy to get out of the cold of Arkansas and spend a few weeks in the tropical climate. There were just a few tourists here and there.

Mark and I on our rooftop at sunset

Lots of changes are happening in Chacala. A portion of the beach-facing land and a huge amount of adjacent land behind has been sold off to developers and is fenced off, blocking the historic road to the beach, and closing the “palm grove” where the RVers parked each winter. All the “squatters,” families that have lived in small wooden homes on that part of the beach, some as long as 40 years, have been “relocated” and their houses razed. All except for one family, that is, Esparanza and Leobardo, who have a bunch of kids, all teen and adult now, (nine I think), many of whom still live there. They are holding out for more money from the developers, I hear, and have refused to leave.

But, although there is a sense of sadness in the pueblo, there is acceptance also,and village life seems to go on. Lots of building is happening throughout the pueblo, and the small businesses and the fishing continue, although I suspect business is down. As regular visitors hear about the “fence” they are reluctant to visit, so the guest homes have more vacancies. Chacala is still a beautiful place to visit though, and the beach and bay still among the most beautiful and pristine on the west coast. We can still access the entire beach, of course, as it is Federal Land, but must enter from the north end of the beach to walk the beach in front of the fenced area.

My casita is looking wonderful. In spite of some roof leaks that occurred in the summer downpours, we got out the furniture and were able to get the house in order and ready for guests.

Entrance to Casa de Ana

Mi sala, open air style

I was able to attend the monthly meeting of EBACH, the club run by the students in our scholarship program. That weekend they painted the entire Learning Center as part of their community service. They are the best. Unfortunately, money is really tight this year for our U.S. and Canadian donors, and we will have to make cutbacks to the scholarship program and other programs in the Learning Center.


Some of the Scholarship Students, complete with a new baby (and me in the background).

We made our usual Thursday morning trip to the Tianguis (flea/craft/vegetable market) on in a neighboring village, La Penita, and we ran right into a charming Revolution Day parade.





The boys would stop every 50 feet or so and make a pyramid.

Tired muchachas (and one muchacho) after the parade.

A very serious General Porfiro Diaz, the autocrat who was unseated in the Revolution.

Mark had some friends visit from Denver, including another doctor, and three nurses. They gave a CPR training program on the beach for our new lifeguard and other people interested in helping to reduce the drownings on the beach.


Mark teaching chest compression technique for an infant.

Mark's colleague, Genie, supervising chest compressions and breaths.

I fly home for a few weeks and then hope to drive down again in mid-November. Maybe for a few months, health allowing.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,
I realized as I'm sending out our Christmas letters that I hadn't checked on you for quite awhile. I'm sorry since you've been going through such a difficult time again. It's good to see that you are feeling better now.
You are so strong always but I do like to let you know that I'm thinking of you often and praying for you. Too bad that your son and his family moved farther away from you. It sounds like a great opportunity for him though. I love the pictures of your growing family and how wonderful that you had them all with you for Thanksgiving! I could relate to your story of your 2 year old granddaughter carrying your hearts around and losing them in the sofa cushions. Don and I now live in San Diego and are babysitting for our two year old grandson and he does the same thing. What a joy he is! And now he has a baby brother, born Dec. 1, for us all to enjoy as well, bringing us to nine grandchildren.

Don and I are fine and happy. I've had a kidney "boulder" and my gall bladder removed in the last two years but otherwise we are very healthy. Don is still playing softball which keeps him happy and out of my hair three days a week now that he's retired. We are playing bridge more often and making many new friends now that we've been here nearly three years.
Our Christmas letter with pictures will be waiting for you in your mailbox when you return from Mexico. Have a marvelous winter there. Your casita is absolutely gorgeous. What a wonderful getaway for you. I'll bet everyone in the entire community is your friend and you feel surrounded by love there.

Merry Christmas, happy new year, and most especially, good health to you.
Much love, Pat Lake, & Don too
2lakes@sbcglobal.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home