Travels with Annie

In September 2005, I was diagnosed with the second recurrence of an agressive breast cancer that appeared first in 1997. My book, Travels With Annie: A Journey of Healing and Adventure (Publish America, 2004) chronicles my first bout with cancer and subsequent travels. This time I will share my thoughts and experiences in verse for my friends and acquaintances.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Off to Alaska

After 11 months of chemotherapy, I’m taking a month off and heading out for Alaska, a longtime dream. I’m flying to Vancouver on August 1, where I will spend some time with friends on Vancouver Island, then, on August 6, I’m boarding an Elder Hostel cruise ship heading up the inside passage. We’ll have stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway, cruise Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

After arriving in Seward, I will join another Elder Hostel and shuttle to the Kenai Peninsula for a float trip, then visit Anchorage, Talkeetna and Denali Park.

When the program ends, I’m going to Fairbanks, spend a few days with friends there and then fly down to Seattle. I’ll visit with friends in the Northwest for another week, and then fly home from Portland. We’ll reevaluate the status of the cancer at that time.

I’m looking forward to getting out of the Arkansas heat for awhile, but I will miss my daily swim across the cove, my grandchildren, and my sweet Australian Sheep Dog, Buddy.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of the summer.

Blessings, Ana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home