Travels with Annie

In September 2005, I was diagnosed with the second recurrence of an agressive breast cancer that appeared first in 1997. My book, Travels With Annie: A Journey of Healing and Adventure (Publish America, 2004) chronicles my first bout with cancer and subsequent travels. This time I will share my thoughts and experiences in verse for my friends and acquaintances.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Passing of Ann L. Getzoff

Mom passed away this morning at about 5 am, in her hospice bed, with her best friend Wendy Grudzien by her side. Amy and I awoke on our own around 5 and, not knowing her status, decided to dress and drive to the hospital. Wendy called us just as we were leaving Mom's house, so we knew as we drove over. But, we pretty much already knew she had gone.
Andy and I picked up Mark this morning from the Little Rock airport and brought him back to the house. The surreal continues to collide with the real, and it is difficult to keep my bearings. Humor and family are keeping me going, but waves of grief are crashing over me, tumbling my thoughts and emotions into a muddled mess. Andy sent out a global announcement this morning to Mom's email contacts, and the responses we are receiving are overwhleming in the best way. So much to do, so much to deal with to handle Mom's affairs. My brothers are doctors and I relied heavily on them throughout Mom's cancer treatment for information and counsel. I guess it is now my turn to handle the legal side of Mom's accounts, assets, such as they are. It seems overwhelming. It already seems like she died days ago, but it was only this morning. I know it will only get better, but for now I only want to grieve for my mom.
Tim

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Sue Goodale said...

Dear Tim,
No matter how expected, the death of a parent is always devastating. The loss of someone who knew us best and loved us anyway can be overwhelming.
Just know that you were a loving son and take comfort in the fact that you were a blessing to your mom.
We pray that in time your pain will lessen and you will be left with many happy memories of your mom.
You remain in our thoughts and prayers,
Bill and Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home